WPC 2000 Stamford


Het negende WK mijn eerste bezoek aan NYC, en het eerste WK met een Play Off

20 deelnemende landen

77 deelnemers


Captain: Hns Eendebak






2 Netherlands

3 Germany

4 Hungary

5 France

6 Czech Republic

7 Poland

8 Canada

9 Belgium

10 Japan

11 Croatia

12 Argentina

13 Turkey

14 United Kingdom

15 Russia/Switzerland

16 Slovakia

17 Finland

18 Colombia/Peru/Turkey

19 India

20 Australia


1 Ulrich Voigt (Germany)

2 Wei-Hwa Huang (USA)

3 Niels Roest (Netherlands)

4 Robert Babilon (Czech Republic)

5 Miklos Mocsy (Hungary)

6 Zack Butler (USA)

7 Derek Kisman (Canada)

8 Denis Auroux (France)

9 Ron Osher (USA)

10 Petr Nepovim (Czech Republic)


3 Niels Roest

16 Rick Uppelschoten

21 Jan Beelen

26 Delia Keetman


WPC2000: The home hotel advantage

Report by Zack Butler, USA

So it turns out that just going to the World Puzzle Championship is enough to induce jet lag, even if it's in the same time zone as the one you live in. And that must be a good thing, since the U.S. team was once again victorious, reclaiming the Puzzle Star along with a very nice crystal potato chip bowl. (The Dutch and German teams got equally nice crystal candy and nut bowls, respectively.)

A well-organized, if busy, event took place in and around Stamford, CT, this past long weekend, and contained (for me, at least) fewer bus rides than any of the last few championships. We took the train in to New York for sightseeing, which was fun, although several of us who split up from the group were surprised to get on the 10:07 PM train back to Stamford and find the other 95 people missing... I got to see the new Rose Center and Planetarium at the Natural History museum, which was cool, but we could have gone to the new 3D Imax show, or hung out in Central Park with the Australians (it was a beautiful day), or gone up the World Trade Center or ...

Not much time to recover from the long day walking around, as puzzling began with a 2 hour individual session at 10:00 the next morning. I am proud to say that I won that round, and if some sort of natural disaster (flooded basement?) had prevented the remainder of the tournament from happening, I could have been world champion. (We take our victories where we can.) After several rounds of less personally helpful (but good) puzzles I dropped down to 5th entering the new dramatic final round. The top ten finishers solved eight puzzles in front of an audience - the puzzles were presented on easels, with only a blank notebook for each competitor. Earning more points in the first two days gave you more time in the final, so whoever finished the most puzzles the fastest in the final would win. Although this had the potential to shake up the standings, most people stayed about the same - except for our new champion, Ulrich Voigt of Germany, who leapfrogged the dominant Wei-Hwa Huang by solving all eight problems correct on his first attempt. (Wei-Hwa had completed all eight before Ulrich, but had to correct one later.) Your intrepid reporter ended up in sixth (thanks to Will, Helene & co. for buying trophies for the top ten!), with fellow American Ron Osher in 9th after competing in the finals, and rookie Alan Lemm using a good second day to end up 20th. The team finished well ahead of the pack, thanks to Wei-Hwa, although I would like to point out that if he had been only excellent, rather than dominating, we still could have pulled it out...

The social scene was as always fun. Many hands of Rifki (no dot on the second i) were played in the hotel lobby, and I almost scored above zero in one of them (it's not my forte). Most were played after midnight, which probably had a fair amount to do with the feelings of jet lag. I shared some Vermont microbrews (to show the Europeans that it's not all like Budweiser), and learned how to play Zombie Poker. We even got to see a pull-out-the-stops bar mitzvah reception in the hotel (and lots of boys in ties running around - "well-dressed hooligans"). I did have to pass on most of the games last night, though, and a morning drive found me back up at Dartmouth before noon. Still jet lagged.